American Express specific requirements:
- Credit Score Requirement – Generally 670+ (Mostly looks at whether you’ve missed a payment or have derogatory marks)
- Lately been extending credit to anyone with a pulse
- Will limit you to 4 or 5 CREDIT cards
- Charge cards do not have a limit
- Will only let you apply for 2 CREDIT cards within 90 days
- 5 days between approvals
- you can apply for CHARGE cards in addition to this
- Will combine hard credit pulls if you apply at the same time
- Welcome bonuses can only be received once per lifetime per unique card
- can get the bonus on different versions of platinum, delta, and everyday cards
Best Credit Card Offers from American Express:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred:
- This is my favorite card for everyday spend. Use this direct link for the best available welcome offer and to support the site.
- Welcome offer of $150 for spending $1,000 within the first 3 months PLUS 10% cash back at U.S. Restaurants, up to $200, for 6 months. Up to $350 for a welcome bonus!
- There is an annual fee of $95 so this brings the welcome bonus down to $205
- This card earns 6% on groceries, 3% on gas, and 1% cash on everything else.
- Groceries are an expense that everyone spends thousands of dollars a year on so this is a huge return.
American Express Everyday:
- Use this direct link for the best available welcome offer and to support the site.
- Welcome offer of 15,000 Membership Rewards points for spending $1,000 on the card within 3 months. 15K MR points can be worth up to $300
- I like this card because there is no annual fee and it earns 2x on groceries and gets a 20% rewards bonus if you use your card 20 or more times a month.
American Express Premier Rewards Gold:
- I’m not going to link my referral for this card because, in order to get the best welcome offer, you have to pull it up in private browsing.
- Welcome offer at americanexpress.com is 50,000 membership rewards points for spending $2,000 in the first 3 months.
- $0 annual fee for the first year then $195
- $100 airline credit every calendar year
- American Express Platinum is one of the best but they don’t have a very good welcome offer right now
- American Express SPG is great for transferring points to airlines and to Marriot – 30,000 point welcome offer available
American Express Offers
American Express allows you to add different offers to your card that can be very lucrative. I detailed this here.
Best ones I’ve received:
- $35 statement credit for spending $100 at Walmart – can be used 5 times (bought Visa Gift Cards)
- $20 statement credit for spending $100 at Staples (bought Visa Gift Cards and used a Staples rebate for another $20)
- Has been available regularly
- 20% back at Sam’s Club up to $250 (bought Visa Gift Cards)